Oamaru vs A Shaw's XI
Northern Ground, Oamaru, 16/17 January 1882

Oamaru 60 ( D.F. Hewat 20, Midwinter 11-34, Peate 9-21 ) & 57 ( Lawry 22, Shaw 11-20, Bates 10-32 )
A Shaw's XI 146 ( W.E. Midwinter 40, R.G. Barlow 36, W. Bates 33, A. Shaw 16no, Holmes 3-21, Cooke 2-63 )
A Shaw's XI by an innings and 29 runs.
Scorecard for the match

Alfred Shaw

Originally two Englishmen tried to promote separate tours to Australia for 1876/77. James Lillywhite promoted a tour of professional cricketers. George Fredrick (GF or Fred) Grace promoted a tour that would have included amateurs. Despite many initial preparations being made for Grace's tour, it fell through, leaving Lillywhite's team as the only one to go. The highlight of Lillywhite's tour was to be two games against a Combined Australia XI. These two games later became recognized as the first two Tests, and the tour as the first test tour. GF Grace was the youngest of three Grace brothers to play for England. Tragically only two weeks after playing his first and only test, alongside with his brothers Edward Mills Grace and William Gilbert Grace (more famously known as WG), he died of pneumonia, caught as a result of sleeping in a damp bed. This marked the only time that three brothers have played in the same test match.

The following text is excerpts from description of the tour of 1881-82. Player images are taken from the individual player pages at

After the 1876/7 tour Lillywhite invited Shaw to join him in promoting and managing a tour to Australia. Shaw was concerned that the financial burdens may be too great for two men, so Arthur Shrewsbury was brought in as a third backer. After Lord Harris's intervening tour, the three men put together their first tour to Australia in 1881, going via America. At the time Shaw was rated England's best defensive bowler and Shrewsbury England's best defensive batsmen. Lillywhite no longer played, but did umpire in a number of games. All the tourists were professional players.

Arthur Shrewsbury

They lost money on the American leg of the tour, and could only scrape together less than £1,000 to pay for their steamship journey to Sydney. This was made worse as the Americans refused to accept Bank of England banknotes as payment, and the captain of their ship, the SS Australia, a Sydneysider himself, personally agreed to guarantee their fare.

Betting scandals have been part of cricket from its earliest days, and it was in a match against Victoria before the first Test of the tour that they surfaced. There was very heavy betting on the match. Victoria needed 94 runs to win in the last innings when the tourists' boat was due to leave, meaning that the match would be a draw. The Victorians, anxious for a win, asked Shaw and Lillywhite to play out the game. They agreed, but only if the sailing of their boat was delayed till 7pm after the match; to their surprise, the boat company consented. However, there were rumours that two Englishmen had tried to throw the game. In response Shaw bet £1 on an England victory and made every other member of his team do likewise. Remarkably, the Victorians were bowled out for 75, leaving Shaw's side the winner by 18 runs. But the rumours of match-fixing did not go away:

William Scotton
On the boat journey to Adelaide, Billy Midwinter, who is the only man to play Test cricket for England against Australia and Australia against England, made accusations that led to a scuffle with the two men believed to have been implicated. Discretion from those reporting the tour means that the names of the alleged match-fixers cannot be identified with any certainty, but it was suggested that one of the players had dropped the simplest of catches, the other taken a catch only after the ball got into his shirtsleeve and became stuck.

Later Shaw said, "It was a remarkably curious circumstance." The Australasian wrote, "Professional cricketers who keep late hours, make bets to some and are seen drinking champagne at an early hours with members of the betting tent cannot be surprised if people put a wrong construction on their conduct."

When the Test matches were played, for the first time a South Australian, George Giffen, was selected to play. The first Test saw the biggest crowds then on record: 16,500 on the Saturday; 20,000 on the Monday and 10,000 on the Tuesday. England had the better of a game that was drawn after the fourth day as Shaw's side needed to catch a steamship for New Zealand at 6.30pm. Chasing 277 Australia had made 127 for 3 by the end of the game.
Richard (Dick) Barlow

The tour to New Zealand was in between the first and second test match of the tour. Included in the touring squad was Billy Midwinter, who as part of DG Gregory's Australian team, played against the Oamaru Cricket Club four years earlier and had now switched his allegiance to England. In the second test, a month after the match in Oamaru, England scored a tortuous 133 in 115 four-ball overs, losing the match by 5 wickets. The last match was drawn when despite being a 'timeless' test, travel arrangements and other engagements intervened rendering the game only being played over four days. The Englishmen set off to other engagements, while the Australian team set sail to England in a tour that would see the birth of the Ashes.

A tragic fate fell on 3 of team. Billy Bates during another tour by an English team to Australia 1887-88 suffered a freak injury, when bowling his off spinners in the nets a straight-drive hit him in the face damaging his eyesight so badly that he never played first class cricket again. Suffering from depression he later tried to take his life. Billy Midwinter after the loss of his wife and two children suffered from mental problems and committed suicide in an asylum in Melbourne in 1890. William Scotton, after being dropped from the Nottinghamshire playing eleven in 1893, committed suicide.

As the game was played over two days, the North Otago Times printed two articles on the match, one describing the first days action (printed on the 18 January) and a second describing the second days action. Both are shown here in their entirety.

Yesterday was the first day this match and the weather was all that could be wished for the occasion. The English Eleven arrived by the express from Dunedin and were met at the station by members of the Oamaru Club. After a light luncheon had been partaken of at the Star and Garter the Eleven were driven to the Oamaru Cricket Club's ground in a four-horse conveyance, and play commenced shortly after two o'clock. There wore a fair number of spectators on the ground, and almost as many had a cheap view over the hedges. The Oamaru twenty -- two unanimously elected Mr Sumpter as captain of their team, and he tossing with Shaw, captain of the eleven, lost the toss, and the Englishmen put the twenty-two in first. The ground was not in good condition, being too, wet, and consequently very dead. The effect of this was shown in the play, and as the ground became drier in the course of the afternoon the scoring improved. Snow and Rice went first to the wickets, the latter taking the first over to meet Peale's bowling. Midwinter took the ball at the other end, and in his second over two byes wore scored. Both batsman where playing cautiously, but, after7 maiden overs, Snow placed a ball to the on, and secured a run off Midwinter. Rice next put one of Midwinter's away in the slips in rather a fluky manner and stole a run, and after some time put Peate to long on for another single. In the next over Midwinter, with his second ball, took Rice's leg stump - score, 5 runs for one wicket. Rice's place was taken by Finch. Snow hit Peale in his next over to the leg for one, and Finch sent the same bowler to square for two. Snow shortly after succumbed to Midwinter's twisters and Lawy took his place. 2-2-8. Finch's off stump then fell to Peate's bowling and Wall's went to the wicket. 3-2-8. In his second over Walls returned a ball from Peate right into his hands, where it was held, and the fourth wicket was vacant (4-0-8), and Nicholls slopped into the breach. Lawry placed one of Midwinter's to leg for one, and in the same over Nicholls hit him hard to long on, where, however, Scotton was waiting for him, and hold the ball. 5-0-9. J. Millington went to the wicket, and Lawry finished the over by driving Midwinter t o the long field for one ; but his wicket fell to Peale's first ball in the next over, and his place was filled by Mr Sumpter. 6-2-10. Peale took the captain's wicket with his second ball, and de Lautour went in. 7-0-10. Millington next succumbed to Midwinter and Cooke supplied his place. 8-0-10. After two or three maidens, de Lautour drove one of Peate's back into his hands and, retired from the wickets (9-0-10) and G Millington took the willow. Cooke now sent Midwinter to long on for two, but in the next over played one from the same bowler on to his own wicket. 10-2 -12. Denton filled his place and sent his first ball into Barlow's hands at mid on (11-0-12), D. Moore taking the bat. After an over from each end, Millington placed one from Peate to leg and stole a run. Moore secured one off Peate, in his next over, to long on, and Millington placed the same bowler to leg for 2. In Midwinter's next over Moore hit his third ball away to long on for two, and afterward, to the slips for one. Millington also scored a single off the same bowler, and raised the score to 20. In Peate's next over Millington drove his first ball straight away for two. Moore placed Midwinter to the slips, and thinking it safe for a run was run out, the ball being quickly returned to Pilling at the wicket. 12-4-22. R. Balmer now went to the crease. Millington, shortly alter drove Peate to the off a single, and then sent Midwinter to long off for two. Peate in his next over took Burner's wicket, and Holmes took his place (13-0-26), and immediately scored 3 off Peate by a splendid shot to square leg. Millington unfortunately caught Peate's next ball on the edge of his bat, put it into Shrewsbury's hands at point, and had to retire, Coates taking his place. (14- 9-28). Holmes sent Midwinter into the slips for a single, and then Coates playing a somewhat careless bat at the last ball in the over, hit his own wicket, and Hewat went in. (15-0-29). Holmes now gave a difficult chance with one of Peate's, sending it upwards towards the bowler, but secured a run ; and, receiving then a ball from Midwinter gave another chance to long off, but escaped, and secured another single. Hewat then drove Midwinter to the off for 3, keeping the ball well down, and the score stood at 30. Holmes then put the same bowler to long on for a single, and the next ball was sent to square leg by Hewat for two. Holmes sent Peale straight for one in his next over, and Hewat placed him in the same direction for another single. The same batsman scored another single off Midwinter's next over, and tackling Peale sent him to the off for two. Midwinter's first ball in the next over took Holmes wicket and the score stood 16-8-40. Cox then went to the crease and placed Midwinter to square leg for a single, and the same bowler was sent for one by Hewat, but his next ball took Cox's wicket off his leg. 17-1-44 Church filled his place, and opened fire by sending Peate to long on for a couple. Hewat then slogged Midwinter to long on, and Scotton made a good attempt to hold it but was over-reached, and a couple of runs were secured. Church drove one of Paste's next over to the off a little too high, and Emmett put him out with a splendid catch (18-2-29), and H Moore went in. Hewat scored four off Midwinter's next over, placing them high but no one was there to hold them and in the same bowler's following over, drove him to the fence for four, bringing his score up to amidst loud applause. This was his last score however, for Midwinter took his bails off in the next over, and sent him to receive the plaudits of the pavilion. A. E. Hardy then went in, and came out after Midwinter's first ball. 20-0-59. Darley filled the vacancy, and cut the same bowler to the off for one , but Peate took his wicket in the next over, and 21 of Oamaru were out for 60, Hardy carrying his bat The Englishmen bowling was to good for the twenty-one throughout, there bring never a loose ball, and hardly a chance given without the probability of a catch. Of the twenty-two, Hewat played a fine innings and kept the ball well down; he was the only one who got into double figures, being top scorer by long chalks. G Millington was next highest scorer with 9, and Holmes 8 was scored with a good straight bat. After the pitch had been rolled, Barlow and Ulyett went to the wickets, for the eleven the former opening time innings to Holmes bowling, Cooke taking the ball at the other end. Each bowler bowled a maiden and then Barlow broke the ice by sending Holmes to leg for a single, Ulyett following suit and putting him away to long on for 3, Off Cook's first ball in the next over Ulyett was caught by Walls at the wicket, and Selby took his place. 1-3-4. Selby after scoring two singles sent one of Cook's balls to leg, where it was held by Lawry. 2-2-7. Bates took Selby's place, and he and Barlow, by a succession of singles and doubles, brought the Englishmen's score up to 26. Hewat was now put on in place of Holmes, and Bates scored a single off his first over. G Millington replaced Cooke at the other end, Bates scoring four of his first over, and bringing the score up to 31 with the loss of two wickets, when the stumps wore drawn at six o'clock, to be pitched again today at 11 a.m.

The Second Report

The stumps were pitched shortly before noon yesterday, and Bates and Barlow continued their innings. A north-wester was blowing rather hard during the fore-noon, but the weather improved afterward, and the wind lulled, though the afternoon was rather too hot. The ground was in much better condition for playing than on the previous day, being not nearly so dead. Cooke opened the bowling to Barlow with a maiden. Hewat then took the ball, and Bates scored a single to long on off his third ball, and scored another off Cooke's first. Bates hit Hewat to square leg, and by smart running made four runs off the hit. After a maiden from Cooke, Bate s scored a single oft Hewat, and drove one of Cooke's next over to the on for two, and the score stood at 40. The same batsman sent another of Cooke's in the same direction, and added two more to his score. A maiden to Hewat followed, when Bates scored two more by a cut to the off, and then gave an easy chance, which was missed by Cox at, mid on, and a single was secured. Another single to Bates followed off Hewat, and the same batsman scored another single to square leg Cooke. After two maidens from each howler, G. Millington took the ball from Cooke, and Barlow cut him to the off for a single, and the same batsman placed Hewat to the leg for another one. Millington then bowled a maiden, followed by another from Hewat. In Hewitt's next over he cleaned bowled Bates with his first ball, and the score stood 3-33-50. Shrewsbury then joined Barlow at the wicket, and Barlow hit Millington to square leg for four. In Hewat's next over Shrewsbury gave a sharp chance to Holmes at short slip.

D. Moore then relieved Millington and opened with a maiden, Shrewsbury hit Hewat to leg for a single, and Barlow did the same. Barlow scored another single off Moore's first ball, and in the same over Shrewsbury put the bowler to leg for one, and Barlow sent his next bell to long leg for four -60 up. Shrewsbury added another single to his score off Hewat, and hit Moore's first ball in the next over well up to square leg where it was held by R. Balmer. 4-3-63. Midwinter now went to the wickets and scored a single off Hewat to long on, Barlow putting the same bowling to square 1eg for another single. Holmes then took Moore's place a t the bowling crease, and Barlow sent his second ball away to long leg for four. Midwinter added another single to his score off Hewat and a maiden from each end followed. Midwinter scored another single off Holmes to square leg. Cooke then took the ball from Hewat. Midwinter sent a skyer off him to long on, where Balmer and Moore both went for it, but 'too many cooks' cooked the chance of a catch and two runs ware added to the batman's score. Midwinter sent one from Cooke to long off for two more, and cut another for a single. Another single was added to his score by the same batsman off Holmes, an d a maiden to Cook followed. B. Balmer now took the ball from Holmes, and his over was productive of a bye. Cooke bowled another maiden Midwinter put one of Balmer's next over to the off for a single. The same batsman increased his score by three off Cook's next over with a couple and a single. Hewat now relieved Balmer and bowled a maiden. After a maiden from the other end, Midwinter drove Hewat's first ball straight to the off for two, and his second to long on for a single, bringing the score up to 80. The same batsman added two to his score off Cook's next over. Barlow made a single off Hewat and cut Cook for another single in his next over. Another single was added to Barlow's score in Hewat's next over, and a maiden from each end followed. Barlow then placed Cooke to square leg for a single, and Midwinter scored one off the same bowler. Lawry missed a good chance off Midwinter's bat in Hewat's next over and a single followed to the same batsman. Midwinter now drove Hewat straight to the fence for four and brought the score past 90. Barlow scored a single off Cooke in the next over, and Midwinter hit the same bowler for three, and the century was passed. Millington again went on in place of Hewat, and bowled a maiden. In Cooke's next over Barlow added a single and Midwinter two to their respective scores. Midwinter made two couples off Cooke's next over, and another couple in his following one . After several maidens, from each end, Midwinter scored two and a single off Cooke, and added another to his score off Millington, bringing his score up to 40. Hardy now relieved Cooke and bowled a maiden, and with his first ball in the next over took Midwinter's off stump with a shooter. 5-40-115. Scotton then went to the wickets and scored a single to leg, and Barlow placed the bowler to the slips for another single. Another was added to the same batsman's score in Millington's next over, and Hardy bowled a maiden. Scotton then retired from the wickets caught by Walls off the first ball from Millington. The English umpire (Lilywhite) was appealed to for stumping, and gave him not out, but the other umpire being appealed to gave him out caught, 6-1-117. Shaw went to the crease and sent one of Millington's to square leg for four and another to long on for two. A single to Barlow followed in Hardy's next over, and after a maiden for Millington, Shaw made a single off the same bowler. Barlow scored another single off Hardy and Millington bowled another maiden; and after another single by Shaw, an adjournment was made for lunch, the score standing at 128. Play was resumed shortly before 3 o'clock, Shaw took the first over to Cooke's bowling, and sent him to long on for a single. Barlow played Cooke's next into Darley's hands at mid off, and retired with a total of 31, having been three hours and a half at the wickets. 7-36-129. Pilling took his place and sent Cooke to leg for a single. The sane batsman sent Hardy hard to leg ; Coates at long leg lot the ball him and reach the fence, four being added to Pilling's score. Shaw cut Cooke for three in his next over. Holmes now took the ball from Hardy and bowled a maiden, and Pilling then sent Cooke to long on for two, and after a maiden from Holmes, drove the same bowler straight for three, and Shaw sent him in the same direction for a couple, making the score 140. Millington relieved Cooke, and his first ball was sent to 1eg by Shaw for a single. Shaw then put Holmes to long slip for a single, and Pilling sent Holmes next ball up in the air, right over the wicket-keeper's head, where it was caught by Cooke. 8-10-146. Peate joined Shaw, and Holmes next ball took his wicket, and the innings closed for 146. Emmett being on the sick list, and unable to bat. The Oamaru team's fielding was rather loose, and two or three easy catches were missed. D. Moore fielded well and Lawry's longstopping was very good.

H Moore and Nicoll's now went in for Oamaru ; Bates opened the bowling to Moore , and Shaw took the ball at the other end. Nicolls stole a single in Bates next over from a leg sneak, and sent Shaw away to long on for another in the next over. Moore in the same over scored two in the same direction. Nicolls played Bates first ball in the next over into Scottons hands at mid off, and the first wicket fell with the score at 5. Walls then went in and sent Bates straight away for two. Midwinter attempted to catch it, but could not reach it. Moore retired at the close of the next over, being caught by Pilling at the wickets off Shaw's bowling. 2-2-7.

J. Millington went in, and sent Shaw's first ball hard to long on, where it was splendidly caught by Barlow. 3-0-7. Hewat now joined Walls, and played Bate's first ball into the slips, where it was held by Shaw. 4-0-7. G. Millington next stepped into the breach. Walls added two to his score with a square leg hit off Shaw, and Millington drove Bates straight for a single in the next over; but played Shaw's first ball in the next over on to his leg, whence it reached the wicket, and Cooke took Millington's place. 5-0-10. Cooke made a single off Shaw, but to Bates first ball in the next over his wicket fell and he retired. 6-1-11. Lawry went to the crease, and scored a single off Bates. Walls cut one of Bate's next over into the slips where it was just reached and held by Shaw. 7-4-12. Snow now joined Lawry, who, after one or two maidens from each end, sneaked one of Shaw's away to leg, and with the help of an overthrow added 3 to his score. Snow then made a single off the same bowler. Lawry again put Shaw to square leg for two. Snow was playing a cautious game, blocking the ball, and keeping them well down. Another single to Lawry off Shaw, and two to the same batsman off Bates, brought the score to 20. Lawry sent Bates again for three in the same over and obtained a single from Shaw in the following over. Bates was now sent for four by a straight drive from the same bat, and a single obtained by Lawry off the same bowler's next over brought the score to 30. Lawry stole another single off Shaw, and another off Bates made his score 20. Snow now added another to his score off Bates, but was clean bowled next ball by Shaw. 8-2-34. D. Moore then went in, and after one or two barren overs Lawry drove Bates for a single, and obtained another off Shaw. Moore opened his score with two off the same bowler, and Lawry then played Bates into Peate's hands at long off and retired with a total of 22. 9-22-37. Finch then joined Moore and the latter sent Bates to long on for a couple, and Finch obtained a single from Shaw, and in the next over put Bates into the slips for another single. Moore then played one from the same bowler into Shrewsbury's hands it point, and his place was taken by Rice. 10-4-41. Two byes were obtained in the same over. After some time Rice drove one of Bates straight to the long held, but it was well fielded by Scotton and only two obtained. The same batsmen scored another single in the same over, but Shaw's first ball in the next over took his wicket, 11-3-47. Sumpter then went in and made a single off Shaw, and drove Bate's first ball to long on for four. Shaw then cleaned bowled Finch, whose place was filled by Cox. 12-2-82. Cox sent his first ball from Shaw into Ulyett's hands at mid off. 13-0-52. R Balmer joined Sumpter, who shortly afterwards slogged Bate's to long on for 3. Bate's next ball but one shaved Balmer's bails off, and Coates went in. 14-0-55. Coates sneaked one from Bate's to leg, and broke his duck, but the last ball in Shaw's next over sent Coates back to the pavilion. 15-1-56. Church went in, but retired before Shaw's bowling in the next over. 16-0-50. Holmes now took the bat, and was clean bowled by Shaw's first ball. 17-0-68. de Lautour joined Sumpter, who shortly caught at mid on by Walls (substitute for Emmett) off Bates. 18-8-56. Hardy went to the vacant wicket, and was clean bowled in his second over by Shaw. 19-0-56. B. Balmer took the bat for Denton, and scored a single off Shaw, but was bowled by Bates in his next over. 20-1-57. Darley took the vacant place, and was caught by Pilling at the wickets off his first ball from Bates, and the innings closed for 57. The match was thus won in one innings by the Eleven, with 29 runs to spare. The spectators on the second day were not so numerous as on Monday, but there were enough to make the ground look lively. Mr Lillywhite umpired during the match for Eleven and Mr Jas. Laws for the Oamaru Twenty-two.


Community Trust of OtagoNew Zealand Community TrustWaitaki District CouncilThe Lion FoundationOasthouse LiquorlandOamaru Licencing TrustKookaburraBrydone HotelPlacemakers OamaruBreen Construction

The North Otago Cricket Association regulates cricket in the North Otago area and is affiliated to the Otago Cricket Association (New Zealand).
To contract us please use the contact us form or alternately we may be contacted at:
North Otago Cricket Assocation, P.O. Box 235, Oamaru, New Zealand.
© North Otago Cricket 2011. All rights reserved
Design by Scott Cameron